Artist Tip Of The Month
Achieving DepthHow to create depth in your paintings without using linear perspective:
- Create depth with textural changes --- use texture in the foreground or center of interest --- areas without texture recedes into the background.
- Chromatic changes --- stronger, clearer colors comes forward --- less intense colors recede into the distance.
- Value changes --- values become lighter as they recede. Darker values come forward.
- Overlapping shapes --- by overlapping shapes it creates the felling of stepping back into the painting.
- Edge changes --- hard edges come forward, soft edges recede.
- Color temperature --- warm colors come forward while cool colors recede.
Elements and Principles of Design
Elements of Light
Finding the Right Subject
Knowing the Color Wheel
Painting on a Sunny Day
Painting Still Life
The Color Wheel
When is a Painting Finished?